Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Good, the Bad, the Excellenté - Part 1

Vacationing at the Excellence Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico
“Let’s order room service!” I happily suggest. It’s one of the many free (or already-paid-for, depending on how you look at it) services offered at the resort. Teetering on the edge of the bed, I reach out, grasping for the phone just beyond my fingertips. And then, I’m on the floor. In a haze, I clamber back onto the bed, laughing and tears streaming from my eyes. Alcohol is also free.

I woke up the next morning with a large bruise on my back and a headache. I blame it on our gracious waiter at dinner – he never let my wine glass go empty. Every time it began getting low, he was there to refill my glass with the Sauvignon Blanc from Chile. I discovered my first lesson while vacationing at a resort: pace yourself. I’m not a huge drinker, and I quickly realized I was never going to survive if I didn’t monitor my alcohol intake. Of course, they didn’t stop me from ordering a mimosa at breakfast.

Nick and I just returned from our five-night stay at the adults-only all-inclusive Excellence Resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. I was a little apprehensive about this trip. I’ve never taken a “relaxing” vacation before, and I was afraid I’d get bored and restless. Turns out, I can slip into do-nothing mode just fine.  I even found myself so worn out from lounging one morning that I took a nap after lunch.  That’s not to say that there’s nothing to do; the resort has planned activities throughout the day. We just chose not to partake, preferring to limit our activity to getting another mango colada or Cervesa from the bar.

I had an amazingly good time at the resort, and I’m excited to share much more about my vacation in the days to come. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment