And, I found a great solution: collapsible backpacks. They are designed to be light and scrunch up into a small space. After doing some comparison shopping online, I chose the REI Stuff Travel Pack (http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack).
Reasons I chose this pack:
- It has a drawstring close, rather than a zipper. I thought it would be easier to keep things from slipping out, and I wouldn’t have to worry about a broken zipper.
- It has side mesh pockets to hold a water bottle or anything else I want to keep easily accessible.
- It was cheaper than most, costing $29.50.
- It’s made of ripstop nylon. It feels like it’ll stand up to some wear-and-tear.
- It will protect belongings from light rain. I always get rained on at some point.
- It’s a good size for me, large enough to carry my camera, a book, and a few other small belongings.